Tuesday, September 11, 2007

contemplations on salt and light

so there have been a few things i have been contemplating lately. you may be familiar with one of them if you've read my previous few blogs...i am still trying to figure out how to do this whole salt and light thing. i have come to the conclusion that it pretty much has to be jesus in me. it was also pointed out to me yet again that so much of the salt and light thing happens in relationship. if i don't have a relationship with someone, how are they going to see jesus in me? they won't really. that was at least semi-convicting. so much of the time, i go to work, come home, and do my own thing without even thinking twice about purposefully investing time in relationships with people who don't know the lord. i am not someone who likes to push things on people, but if i actually have a relationship with someone, it is not so much either person pushing anything as it is two people getting to know one another. it seems that if i am interested in being an effective witness for jesus, i need to be someone who actively reaches out to others with the intention of getting to know them. it's not about getting to know someone with the intention of being known, but getting to know someone with the goal of learning who they are. so...if i am actually interested in being like jesus, i need to make time in my life to get to know people, particularly people who don't know jesus or even like the church. all i have to say is that, in and of myself, i am way too in my own little world. i need jesus to make it happen.

No comments: